Monday, October 10, 2011

Another first...this time a quilt

Started another sewing project...this time it's a quilt. Spent endless hours looking for a good quilt design, easy and pleasing to the eye. I don't know if it's just me, but I find most quilts out there quite hard on the eyes. I can appreciate the enormous effort put into making the quilt but am not sure if the final outcome is usually worth the effort. Usually there is too much happening in the design and your eye feels tired just looking at it. Hey then beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. 

My internet search finally paid off. Found this great site www.purlbee.com
With my faith reaffirmed that there are some designs that finally appeal to me I set about my first quilt. Picked this: http://www.purlbee.com/wedding-quilt/

I took a quilting 101 class at the local Fabricland store. Got first hand information on stitching blocks. Don't know how to bind the quilt yet. We will cross the bridge when we get to it.

Ordered my first jelly roll from Fat Quarter Shop. Went with the Dena Designs - Taza collection. Wasn't sure if I was equiped to select fabrics yet. Got some white kona cotton and cut it up myself. I thought the cuts were pretty accurate. Only the completed quilt will tell.

Once the jelly roll arrived, laid out the pieces and conceptualized the quilt.


Then commited a cardinal sin. I washed the precut fabric. Lot's of loose fibers and such but I survived to reach the next part. Lesson learned: will not order a jelly roll again. I have a compulsive need to wash the fabric and hence must only order fat quarters.

Layed out my cutting paraphernelia and I was ready to get started.


Cut up the white fabric first.


Neatly piled the fabric.




Laid it out to see how the pieces fit.


Stacked and labelled the bundles.


I think I am ready to start sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!