Thursday, March 2, 2017

Experiments with garment sewing

Lately completing a quilt has become a challenge for me. It is something I need to deal with, but with reduced sewing time I find myself distracted by smaller projects. One of them being garment sewing. I am no expert by any measure. I had purchased the 'Tova Tunic' pattern by Wiksten a while back and gingerly made my first top years ago, something I have never worn to this day.

I decided to give this another try, this time, a dress. I used this lovely Ikat woven fabric I picked up from Drygoods Design. I love how it turned out and it has been well worn.

This fabric is great for summer but a bit too breathable for winter so I got some Robert Kaufman Mammoth flannel that still needs to be made into a second dress. While making the dress I considered a sleeveless version of it. I pulled out this long hoarded print by Denyse Schmidt and made it sans sleeves and collar. I gave it contrast piping for a little embellishment. Cannot wait for warmer weather to wear this.

Sewing two of these dresses gave me the confidence to tackle yet one more project. I have been meaning to sew some pajamas for myself, so I got adventurous and ordered 'The Carolyn' pattern by Closet Case Patterns. I decided to grab the bull by the horns and go for the most complex option with piping.

It took me 3 long weekends to get this done. One to study the pattern and understand what needs to be done and the other two to cut and sew up the outfit. I used my serger for this one. The fabric is Manuscript from Papiere by Amy Sinibaldi for Art Gallery Fabrics

I love how they fit but I do find quilting fabric a little coarse for sleepwear. I purchased some soft double gauze to make another one. A project that still requires completion.

Just a short write up on my adventures with garment sewing. If you plan to tackle either of these patterns and are looking for tips feel free to contact me. I learnt a great deal along the way and would be happy to share.