Thursday, November 24, 2011

Binding for my original quilt

Made some more progress on my original quilt. Here is the binding for the quilt. The quilting will take sometime for me to complete. Let's hope I can put this together soon. Time is money during the holiday season.

2.5 inch binding
Related links:  quilt start quilt continued quilt top quilt basting backing

One more baby trouser

I remember wearing trousers like this as a kid and have been thinking about making one for a while. This time I tried making it with denim. Broke a few needles in the process. Either I am not using the right size needle or the machine is not good at handling this type of sturdy material. Did I mention before that I use a low end Brother sewing machine that I bought off eBay. It has done a great job so far. No complaints. A bad carpenter blames his tools as my grandmother would say. Anyway hope this keeps my little niece warm through winter.
Trouser outside

Trouser inside

Close up of the detail

A few things are apparent..I did not consider the direction of the print when cutting the second leg of the flannel fabric inside.  I like the way the detailing came out. So simple yet effective.

Related links: Baby Pants

Sunday, November 20, 2011

YEAAAAH made my first quilt!!!!

Travelling to NZ next week and thought a quilt would be a great gift for my in-laws. Began to furiously work on the quilt and 3 days later here are the results.

Really don't feel like giving my first quilt away, but then it's meant to be used.  I used straight line quilting. Apparently I can sew in straight lines quite well. It's free motion quilting that I have a problem with. :) I have a question how does everyone manage to control the fabric from fraying while making the quilt??? 
Related posts: quilt start quilt top

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Autumn sewing

I made some hot pads with a Thanksgiving theme improvising from this tutorial.These would make great gifts for Thanksgiving. Purchased some autumn fabric and coordinating duck cloth from Joann Fabrics.

The final outcome.

Not bad for an hours worth of work. It took more time to pick the fabric.

More fabric shopping

Got some more flannel and denim from the local Joann Fabrics store.

Quilt backing and basting

Finally got down to creating the quilt backing. Quilts are supposed to be mades from scraps of cloth, so took the pieces left over from the jelly roll and pieced them together to create two strips that I attached to the back. Better than plain white. 

Basted the quilt and prepared the quilt sandwich.

On a bright sunny autumn Saturday got down to the most difficult aspect of the quilt. The actual quilting. I decided to go with simple straight lines considering this is my first quilt. I tried free motion quilting on a sample cloth....I have a long way to go before I get any good.