Sunday, February 23, 2014

Progressive Quilt Block

I am participating in the progressive quilt event at the Mid Atlantic Mod retreat in April. This is a collaborative quilt making activity where a dozen members contribute a block for the quilt and then spend an hour working on the quilt at the retreat. The completed quilt top will then be given away to one lucky member via a raffle. 

I received a pack of some low volume(value) prints with the theme - little bits. This is totally within my comfort zone. As soon as I saw the fabrics and read the words - little bits - my mind immediately went to Yoshiko Jinzenji. I won't deny I have spent quite some time looking at her quilts and just wondering how she creates that "bits and pieces" effect. 

Anyway here is my rendition of a block inspired by her work for the low volume(value) progressive quilt. I also cut into some of my Architextures prints that I had been hoarding for a while. They lend a lot of movement to the background.

Friday, February 21, 2014

Thank you

It's been one of those weeks for me where I felt honored and humbled at the same time and I thought this warranted a post of its own. Since the Modern Quilt Guild announced the top 10 finalists in the Riley Blake Challenge of which 'Antithesis' was one of the finalist I have been inundated with wishes from all over. A big thank you to all of you. I have personally tried to respond to each one of you but if I missed anyone it was not intentional. One thing that really stood out to me was the encouragement and kind words I received from my fellow guild members over at CJMQG. A big shout out to them and now I know why I drive a total of 70 miles on a week night to the monthly guild meeting and back. It is so worth it.

Monday, February 17, 2014

Presenting - Antithesis

Inspiration has total disregard for deadlines. - Rachel Singh

This is for the Modern Quilt Guild's - Riley Blake Challenge. The fabric was distributed months back but I found the colors challenging to work with. I could not think of one thing to make till the day before the deadline.

I was looking through my Pinterest boards when I came across this pin. I had been meaning to try a wonky improv dresden block but never quite got around to it. Then suddenly it reminded me of the Riley Blake Challenge fabrics which IMO are very clashy and have no theme. 

I quickly put together some initial dresden leaves. Liked what I saw and kept going. I made one set of leaves using the bright colors then decided to make the next set using the darker ones. I threw in gray as the background. The two sets of leaves looked completely different from each other and I thought to myself what an 'Antithesis' - akin to a lot of things in my life these days. I had found a name for the quilt.

I ran with the theme and finished the quilt top. I noticed that the bright side was not wonky enough so added extensions with the orange fabric to make it more uneven.

I was not sure if I wanted to really put in an all nighter and complete the quilt. However it was a day off from work and after my morning tea I felt up for the challenge. I quilted 'Antithesis' in the same theme. Sombre straight lines 1/4" apart in the happy half and fun wavy lines 1/4" in the gloomy half. 

Finally bound it using this timely tip from Michelle over at Factotum of Arts. Her quilt is absolutely gorgeous.

After all this I think I made the deadline. If not - oh well, till inspiration strikes again.

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Catching up...

It's been a while since I have posted anything here. Been recovering from flu and the weather is certainly not making it easy. Anyway on the bright side it's certainly winter wonderland.

I did get a bit of sewing done. First up I completed the bee block for Robin. She had provided some vibrant Kaffe Fasset fabric to offset the dreary winter and asked for a block with stained glass look. Making this block definitely lifted my spirits and reminded me of those much coveted Tiffany lamps.

Next up I completed another WIP from last summer. A friend of mine had a baby boy and this was supposed to be for the new born. I did not get around to completing it till now. I guess it should still work for a 1 year old :)

This is made using a free pattern by Elizabeth Hartman and a charm pack of Road 15 by Sweetwater for Moda. I love the boyish colors. Quilted it in straight lines 1/2" apart using my walking foot. For the back, I used some Michael Miller fabric I had laying around for a almost 3 years now. I never did find a good use for it till now. It matches perfectly with the Road 15 colors.

My signature label and hopefully I get to the post office soon enough to mail it before the boy turns 2 ;)