Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Learning to Crochet - V


On a quick visit to Target to get some essentials I chanced on some yarn in the sale bin. There were two sets of two balls of yarn. I loved the colors and decided to make small cushions with them. Since I only had two balls of yarn each I decided to make one square side till the yarn ran out and repeat for the next ball of yarn.



I particularly love this one with the metallic strand in it.



Once I had two sides I used a closely matched plain yarn to join them. I used a single crochet on three sides. However the seam was not as nice looking at the back of the cushion, so I went around an created a faux chain to even out the look.



I devised my own method of making a zippered fabric lining to allow for washing later. I hand sewed the lining and zipper to the woolen shell. In this case I added some ticker tape for a bit of interest. I even washed the pillow to make sure the stitching holds up and it did!






Now that I was a little more confident of my skills I ventured into my local yarn shop, The Tea Cozy Yarn Shop. It is the most adorable little shop. For the first time I was looking at yarn in person, touching and feeling the fibers. I was introduced to a whole bunch of designer yarns. Having already hoarded fabric when I started quilting, this time around I am determined to only buy yarn by the project. I was still itching to crochet something in cotton and use twisted cotton this time. I chanced upon Ultra Pima from Cascade Yarns. I immediately thought of making a cushion for the living room.

I had liked the texture of Bobble stitch I mentioned earlier and got started.



A week later I had a completed pillow. I love how the invisible zipper is truly invisible.



A little more detail on the two sided seam.



I am thoroughly enjoying using this pillow and plan to make more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!