Saturday, September 9, 2017

Learning to Crochet - III

All along I was eager to try making Granny Squares. All the colorful scrappy afghans I had seen on Instagram was what had prompted me to learn crochet and I was ready to try one on my own. What came as a surprise to me was there is a classic granny square block and a ton of variations on the block.
I mean the possibilities are endless. I waded through a lot of patterns and ultimately settled on the Sunburst Granny Square.

I decided I wanted to make the granny square quilt in cotton. I researched cotton yarn and found that I really liked the color and texture of DMC Natura Just Cotton yarn. I wanted bright cheery colors and settled on the combination below. Each finished square measures 4 inches so I need to make about 360 blocks for a small throw. This is definitely a long term project.



I found this yarn to be splitty. Like I mentioned earlier it is low twist so it feels a lot softer but you have to be careful not to leave strands out. Oh well, live and learn. Another thing with granny squares is burying threads. No matter when you bury them, while making the squares or later it takes a while. Next time perhaps I will not change the colors as much.

I have been slowly chipping away making blocks but have a long way to go.



The little baskets I made earlier are coming in handy. This project is pretty portable.




While this project continues in the background I diverted my attention to more short term projects that I will cover next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!