Friday, February 1, 2013

A new quilt project

I have not embarked on a proper quilt project since the flying geese quilt was completed last October. I have been itching to work on a large quilt that requires measuring, precision cutting and accurate piecing.

A fat quarter bundle of 'Hometown' by Sweetwater was sitting around since early last year. The colors always reminded me of 'Old Glory'. So decided to make a quilt using the Sawtooth Star quilt pattern from Elizabeth Hartman's book The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker, 12 Quilt Projects. Of all the traditional block patterns this one is my favorite. I had even given the block a trial run early last year. I must really like this book, this is the second quilt I would have made from this book.





I have started to cut the pieces for the blocks. 64 blocks required. This quilt will measure 96 x 96 inches when finished. The largest quilt I have made so far. I am using Kona bone as the solid. The Moda solid in ivory included in the fat quarter bundle would have been ideal but I cannot find it anymore and the Kona bone is a very close match. Almost identical.

I am really excited about this project....off to more cutting and piecing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!