Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Greek Cross Quilt done!!!!

The Greek Cross block has always seemed very bold and definitive to me so when I needed to make a quilt for a teenage boy who is in a rock band, it was the first block that came to mind. I tried to make it as masculine as possible in the hope it will get used. I bust out my stack of Curious Nature by Parson Gray and picked only the blue and gray fabrics from the line. For the background I picked Quilter's Linen in Stone. I love the textured look. 



Blocks were very easy to make. I even have a tutorial on the sameThe quilt top came together relatively easily. 



For the backing I decided to give it a music theme. I used Concerto Orchestra Stripe White and Concerto G-Cleff White/Black from Bernatex Fabrics. The recipient plays keyboards so I thought this fit in nicely. Pretty masculine print IMO.



Keeping in the same vein I quilted it using a boxy pattern with gray thread. Curves come more easily to me so it was a challenge to quilt the sharp corners. However I found that if I hesitated a bit at each turn I achieved the required look. Thanks Angela Walters for the tip. I think her workshop was one I learnt a lot from. 


In the close up you can see that the gray fabric in the two blocks differ slightly in color. Well I ran out of the Quilter's linen and had to order more and found that the shade was not exactly the same. Different dye lot. Lesson learned for next time. Stock up on the fabric before starting a quilt. Oh well I hope after a few washes the difference will be less apparent.

Lastly for the binding I used a Spider Web in black from Northcott Fabrics. It frames the quilt nicely.


I was thinking of going all cross bones and skulls on the quilt but I think this is a happy medium where both the kid and parents would be happy. Quilts for boys are always so hard.


At times I really drag my feet on a project. This was one of those. I had less than 2 square feet of quilting left and had folded the unfinished quilt and put it away.  Finally decided to finish it and call it a day.


16 comments:

  1. I love this quilt! I have a grey modern bedroom and this would look so lovely there! You did a wonderful job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really cool! Love the fabrics you selected,
    Great quilt!!!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super pretty in person and in pictures, despite the dye lots. Really. It's beautiful. :) You made me love quilter's linen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is gorgeous. I agree, boy quilts are very hard, but your fabric choices are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt is perfect for a boy! It's really perfect for anyone. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! I love Parson Gray prints, and that spiderweb was a great choice for the binding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fabrics, perfect for a male quilt and something that can be used for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! Love the subtle colors...great for a masculine quilt! Great choice of fabric for the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is great, love the quilting too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out beautifully! I've yet to make a Greek Cross quilt, but your lovely results make it very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really good fabric choices, super colours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it. The fabric pull was perfect for a boy. I agree with Cari too, love the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it is great for a teenage boy, I'd have no idea where to begin. I can see it in a bachelor pad as well, so it definitely isn't a kids quilt. I want to try some similar quilting and have been doing a bit of practice, the curves definitely come easier for me to - I'll try hesitating, see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought you'd done the two tone background on purpose - I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I might have freaked out a little at the 'teenage boy in a rock band' part of this design process, but you nailed it! Really nice job, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely quilt, and great backing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!