Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Greek Cross Quilt

Late Friday night I just wanted to sew something simple and none of my WIPs were really speaking to me. Earlier in the day I had seen Jess at Quilty Habit start a new Modern Maples quilt and I was tempted to start a new project too. The WIPs could wait!

For our guild quilting bee this month Eugenie has given us some Curious Nature fabric by David Butler.



This reminded me of a fat quarter bundle of the same I had bought a while back. I had originally got it to make a quilt for my husband but he really did not take to the fabrics as I had expected. Anyway this fabric screamed Greek Cross to me which to me is a very masculine looking block. I paired it with some Quilter's Linen in Stone by Robert Kaufman. Each block barely takes a few minutes to sew up. 




Along the way I put together a quick tutorial. Sorry for the blurred pics, it was late at night and the lighting was quite insufficient.


From the width of a fat quarter cut 

  • 1 - 5" x 5" piece
  • 4 - 5" x 2.75" pieces




From the solid fabric cut

  • 4 - 5" x 5" piece
  • 4 - 5" x 2.75" pieces







Arrange the pieces together to form the block



Pair the two sets together and chain piece them.





 Piece the rest of block like so.



Each block goes really fast. To be frank I did not care to iron each block as I sewed along. I just finger pressed the seams and moved on. It's a fairly simple to make and completes at 14" x 14" for the unfinished block.





Linking upto: Fabric Tuesday and WIP Wednesday

5 comments:

  1. Hey, finger pressing will do. Great job! enJOYed the tut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, ah I love this!! Great tute, will pin it for future use. And thanks for the shoutout! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tute! Would make a nice quilt for a last minute gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a beginner but a good sewer. If I want the unfinished block to be 27" or 26" (either will work for my 27" euro pillow form) how do I adjust the pattern piece sizes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would calculate 26/3 = 8.66 + .5 (seam allowance) so I would say a 9 inch square should suffice.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!