Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Of miscalculations and foibles

Lately I have been sewing by the seat of my pants. Instead of blindly following a pattern I try to evolve the design as I move along. Hopefully this is a sign of being a more experienced quilter rather than a cavalier one. This process can take some unexpected turns as I found out during two of my projects.

In the excitement of having completed my flying geese quilt top I set about trying to complete the backing, basting, quilting..... but once the back was put  together I realized it's 17 inches short and there is no more matching fabric left. Every little piece has been used up. Some of it was bought from a small shop in India and can no longer be sourced. Now I am stuck in a quandary and am trying to bail myself out of the situation.


On another project which started from here, I used tea-dyed muslin as sashing to match the finer cotton of the fabric. Initially I started with wide sashing between the blocks.



This did not look aesthetically pleasing to me and I redid the quilt top making the blocks smaller and the sashing narrower. As a result I wasted quite a bit of fabric and ran out of the muslin. Now I need to run to the store and get some more, before I can finish it.


1 comment:

  1. I can't tell you how many times I've been in the same situation. I'm sure with your creative mind you'll come up with a grand idea to finish the first quilt, how do I know? Because you did a wonderful job on the second quilt! Ageed that the your smaller blocks are more pleasing to the eye. Looks more Modern.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!