Sunday, July 8, 2012

Flying geese quilt top completed

The quilt top has finally become a reality. It's my favourite so far. I don't know because it's been an effort getting it done or it really looks good but I love it. The crisp feel of home spun fabric is great and I took my time to iron it taking in the look and feel of it. The trick was to pin all the seams in place while putting the top together so that the seams line up correctly. The plain white fabric is a light weight cotton more like muslin. I decided not to use Kona cotton as it felt very coarse in comparison to the homespun fabric.




I think I am going to use more homespun fabric for the backing and a real light summery batting. I don't think I can handle a warm batting in this weather.

This is the most traditional quilt I have made so far but it looks real modern to me. To keep in step with the traditional feel I am going to do stitch-in-the-ditch quilting. It's going to be the first time I try it. 

The machine has been great so far. The precise nature of the stitch has made piecing the top a pleasure.

More on this: here more, progress, herehere

2 comments:

  1. Thats a flock of geese...LOL Love the homespuns, did you find them hard to work with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The piecing is not as precise but then you can course correct as you put it together. It felt like a very organic process. I had prewashed the fabric so hopefully there should be no further distortion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!