Sunday, January 27, 2013

Wonky Cross Quilt for Madrona Road Challenge

This space has been quiet for a bit now, sewing time has been at a premium lately. Nevertheless I managed to squeeze in a finish on my Madrona Road Challenge quilt. The design is inspired by this pin on my Pinterest board. I decided to make the crosses a bit wonky instead.


Wonky Cross Quilt - Front


Wonky Cross Quilt - Back
My original improv quilt is still a WIP so decided to give this quilt an improv look. I had not done spiral quilting before so gave that a try too. It was a shaky start but once the circle got bigger than 6" it was fairly simple. The walking foot and guide were very handy. I also off-centered the spiral for a more dramatic effect. It's more visible from the back.





I used a text print for binding as I wanted it to be noticeable but not over-power the quilt. I do like all the negative space in the quilt. Had to really restrain myself from filling it up. I also tried machine binding for the first time. It wasn't picture perfect but not bad either. The binding was done in a jiffy compared to doing it by hand, the convenience is a big plus.



Linking up to: Finished Friday

6 comments:

  1. Love it! I've never really been into the cross quilts but yours is gorgeous - and I love what you did with the quilting, and the white crosses in the left corner. Can't wait to see it (and you) in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellently executed! I love how the quilting seems to start in the center of the crosses and radiates out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, love it. Love the off-centered circular quilting

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! I just love the wonky blocks, and the quilting. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful and artistic quilt! i love everything about it-design, colors, quilting. i especially love the top left patches-they seem to float! lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous. And the circular quilting is so great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!