Monday, May 27, 2013

Disappearing 9 Patch Quilt

I have another finish for this month. This quilt was to be supposed to be a quick project before I decided to add a 1/4" sashing between the blocks. This was inspired by Rachel Griffith's Impromptu quilt pattern at PSI Quilt. She even has a quilt along currently in progress. Anyway here is the quilt all done.




The pieced back worked out well.


Since the quilt was made up entirely of squares and rectangles it needed something to softer to break up the hard lines. So I a quilted it using a meandering stitch. This is only the second time I have quilted using FMQ. The last one was a baby quilt, this was the first large quilt. I thought it was a bold move considering any mistakes would show up clearly on the solid blocks at the back. I was extra careful to form proper meandering lines. Didn't turn out too bad after all. I do feel a lot more confident now. Probably will venture to learn a few other FMQ designs I like. 




I used the stripped fabric from the same line for the binding which was machine bound using the lumpless binding method and added a label to the quilt.



More about making of this quilt: here & here

While I was in the yard I snapped a quick picture of some flowers. The light is a bit too harsh for a good photograph but oh well it is a great day to be outside.



Linking up to: Plum & June & Finish it up Friday & TGIFF

7 comments:

  1. This is lovely! I also recently experimented with FMQ and stippling a quilt, the effect is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun and cheery quilt! I love the tiny sashing between the blocks. It makes it look like they are floating.

    -Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fab! Perfect pattern for those fabrics. And, love the label as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fabric choices! This quilt is just lovely, so fresh and fun! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great - I have only done cushion covers in fmq and I want to do larger quilts. Maybe next time./....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really beautiful! The back is perfect too!
    Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!